Re: Choosing graphics backend for documentation

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Choosing graphics backend for documentation
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 11:07:39 -0500

On 08/17/2015 02:22 AM, Michael Godfrey wrote:

On 08/17/2015 01:52 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:
On Aug 16, 2015, at 8:19 PM, Michael
Godfrey<address@hidden> wrote:

>On 08/16/2015 10:59 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
>>What figures can't be drawn?
>>
>>Dan
>Besides Fig. 15-7, the Plotting section will need extensive rewrite to
>document a system with gnuplot only.
I don’t think the documentation should change if only gnuplot is
present … is that what you meant?

For me, the question is whether or not the documentation can be
generated only using gnuplot.

Ben

It appears that I do not understand what is being proposed here. If the
indent is to
provide users of Octave with a version which only supports gnuplot for
plotting then
the current manual is not appropriate for them. There has always been an
issue due
to the fact that there has only been one version of the manual, but
Octave can be
built with or without various features. But, the maintenance of a single
Octave
overrides this. Note that if OpenGL is not available the gui will not be
either.

This gnuplot only system seems to be needed only in the case where users
are building Octave
from source. Most users will install a packaged Octave. If they want a
Manual they
have to obtain it from the Octave site. The reason for including the
Manual source
files is for developers use. So, it appears that the only use for this
option is for
developers use on systems which lack any working OpenGL. Most developers
will
need to have a system which is capable of generating a fully functional
Octave for
testing. This requires OpenGL.

As far as the manual goes, "working" is the key word. With the recent development version I get errors, and the make process keeps attempting to build the manual. The solution for me is to just configure off the documentation and not worry about it. Could the manual build be configured off by default? Then have

make manualwithqttoolkit
make manualwithgnuplottoolkit
make manual (default whatever)

If this effort is intended to provide users a new version of Octave
which does not depend on
OpenGL than this should be made explicit and agreed on through the
developers list.

The current Manual states:
Earlier versions of Octave provided plotting through the use of
gnuplot. This capability is
still available. But, a newer plotting capability is provided by
access to OpenGL. Which
plotting system is used is controlled by the graphics_toolkit
function. See Section 15.4.7
[Graphics Toolkits], page 403.

I do not think that this should be changed to state something like
"versions of Octave
which lack OpenGL, and therefore lack the graphics_toolkit and the GUI
interface are
also supported. Please see the release documentation for details..."

graphics_toolkit.m isn't used if there is no OpenGL?

Dan