Re: Speed of Ocave vs Matlab?

From: rocketsound
Subject: Re: Speed of Ocave vs Matlab?
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 15:11:43 -0700 (PDT)

In general: Any loop-heavy code is slow in Octave because it has no JIT
compiler as Matlab does. I think any further statement to this topic
requires more details about your desired application of Octave. My
experience is: Some parts of the language are equally fast to Matlab (like
vector calculations, inverse, stuff like this) and so are a lot of
functions. But for example the function qp (comparable to quadprog) is
terribly slow. My MPC controller calculations take like 10 seconds with
Matlab but at least one whole day with Octave.