Re: Missing functions in the statistics package.

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Missing functions in the statistics package.
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 14:35:35 -0400

On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 04:00:43 -0300, TrucomanX XnamocurT wrote:
> Hi Oliver
>
> In
> http://wiki.octave.org/Contributing_to_the_development_of_packages/modules
> they recommend:

This page is a wiki, please feel free to make edits or suggestions about
how to improve the descriptions!

> * For one shot contribution: http://octave.sourceforge.net/developers.html
> they say
>   - For the OCTAVE core:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/get-involved.html
>     Go to maintainers mailing list (bitious circle)
>     this is my case, The function I did pertain to family function that are
> built-in functions from the file libinterp/corefcn/load-path.cc.
>     "Dark path"

The page "get-involved" explains how to communicate with the maintainers
community and how to acquire the Octave source. It then links to the
"Contributing Guidelines" section [1] of the official manual, which
explains how to build the source, generate a patch, and where to submit
it.

>   - For new packages:  Go to maintainers mailing list (bitious circle)
>     and https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/package-releases/
>     I found it interesting because they say how do the documentation but
>     I do not see any link to help me contribute with my code.
>     "Dark path"

I think you did the exactly correct thing, you created a package on your
own and put it up somewhere (github in your case) for others to download
and use. It seems like you followed the right path.

> * For new files: https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/feature-requests/
>   this return "Read access required"
>   "Dark path"

This is talking about new code that would not fit into an existing
package. This is essentially the same as contributing a new package
above.

> * For unmaintained packages : They do not say where to go.
>   "Dark path"

I think it's exactly the same as contributing to an existing package,
acquire the sources, make whatever changes are needed, and either host
your own repo somewhere or submit patches on the patch tracker. Once the
package is ready for release, let the maintainers list know that you
would like to be involved in making a release of the package.

> I think  that Agora is a necessity

Just curious, what features do you hope that Agora will provide that
bitbucket or github or other code self-hosting options do not provide
now?

--
mike