Re: Octave 4.0.0 now in Homebrew

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Octave 4.0.0 now in Homebrew
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 09:23:35 -0700

On Sep 15, 2015, at 8:42 AM, John Swensen <address@hidden> wrote:

I thought someone might want to update websites to indicate that Homebrew now has Octave 4.0.0 in homebrew/science. I found it via Google search at
although I had to reinstall it with the GUI option enabled (it doesn’t build it with GUI support by default)
brew reinstall octave --with-qt --with-fltk --with-gui

As a side note, I noticed that Comic Sans is the default font for comments in the Octave GUI editor. Was this intentional as a joke? I realize that some of the Comic Sans hate in the world is semi-irrational (http://www.comicsanscriminal.com/), but because it does elicit such a visceral response in many people, maybe we should consider a different font as the default?

John S.

I should amend this a little. I went and looked at the default-qt-settings.in file and couldn’t see it setting fonts to anything other than __default_font__ (which in turn was set to default_family = “Courier”), so I am not quite sure where the Comic Sans came from. I have never had the GUI installed on this machine, and I am one of those Comic Sans disparagers so I wouldn’t have ever consciously set any font in my system to that.

John S.