Re: Directed rounding

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Directed rounding
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 10:05:28 -0700

On Sep 17, 2015, at 9:47 AM, Oliver Heimlich <address@hidden> wrote:

On 17.09.2015 18:31, Eric Walter wrote:
Dear Oliver,

Yes, this might be the way. In MATLAB I got around my rounding problem
by using Sigfried Rump's interval toolbox INTLAB. Many thanks for your
suggestion, and thanks to the Octave community for their amazing
reactivity.

Best regards,

Eric

Eric,

you are welcome. Since you know INTLAB, please check whether the free Octave interval package is a valid replacement for your project. If you are missing some functionality in the interval package, please let me know.

You can find many functions with directed rounding here (no need to change the rounding mode yourself):
http://octave.sourceforge.net/interval/function/mpfr_function_d.html

P.S. The Octave interval package is conforming to the IEEE standard for interval arithmetic. It might behave differently compared to INTLAB, especially on empty intervals.

Best regards
Oliver

While most certainly not an Open Source compatible license, INTLAB is open source (small o and s) and free to use excluding only if you are selling a product that uses it. It is free to use, even in commercial setting as long as you aren’t trying to sell a product that includes the code.

As of Octave 3.8, it sounds like INTLAB is fully compatible with Octave.
http://www.ti3.tuhh.de/rump/intlab/Octave/octave.html

John S