Re: Best way to help?

From: LachlanA
Subject: Re: Best way to help?
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 05:56:51 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings Kai,

Thanks for processing those patches, but no, I wasn't just referring to my
handful of patches -- there are about 40 bug reports with status "patch
submitted" and others with patches but status "None", and so I assume that
there is a better way to help than just submitting more patches.  Of course,
if submitting patches is the most useful, I'd love to do that too!

As a newcomer to this project, I would appreciate more documentation -- or
for the documentation to be easier to find.  I'm making notes for myself,
and would be happy to expand them into something like a section of Appendix
D of the manual if there isn't already some documentation I haven't found.
Is there a place that describes any of the framework of Octave (like the
various tree walkers in libinterp/parse-tree, the logic behind what is in
liboctave  and what is in  libinterp,  the DEFUN macro, layering of
octave_stream on top of C++ streams, error handling, the build process, what
tools are needed to build if Makefile.am is modified etc.)?  If so, it would
be great for the README to point to that documentation.

Thanks again,
Lachlan