Re: Octave 4.0 on Mac OS Yosemite (with gui!)

From: Alexander Hansen
Subject: Re: Octave 4.0 on Mac OS Yosemite (with gui!)
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 17:01:46 -0700

> On Oct 5, 2015, at 16:51, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Opps, I configured with the following options, and used Macports osmesa
>>> port.
>>>
>>>             --without-x \
>>>             --with-OSMesa \
>>>             --with-OSMesa-includedir=/sw/include/mesa \
>>>             --with-OSMesa-libdir=/sw/lib/mesa
>>>
>>> $ fink list mesa
>>> Information about 10253 packages read in 14 seconds.
>>>  i   mesa                                 7.0.2-3                     3-D
>>> graphics library
>>>      mesa-libglw-openmotif4               7.8.2-1                     Xt /
>>> Motif OpenGL widgets
>>>      mesa-libglw-openmotif4-shlibs        7.8.2-1                     Xt /
>>> Motif OpenGL widgets
>>>  i   mesa-shlibs                          7.0.2-3                     3-D
>>> graphics library
>>>  i   system-pkgconfig-osmesa              8-1
>>> [virtual pkgconfig package representing osmesa]
>>>
>>> Ben
>>>

>> That’d be Fink’s osmesa. :-)
>>
>> If I get a chance I’ll see about some modernization there to try to get a
>> reasonable Octave 4.x into Fink.
>>
>> --
>> Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
>> Fink User Liaison
>
> Hi Alex,
>
> Opps. You are correct, I mis-typed. I’m using Fink, not macports … groan!
>
> Does Fink’s mesa work with the OpenGL Carbon framework?
>
> And what is the relationship between "system-pkgconfig-osmesa 8-1” and the
> mesa 7.0.2-3 package?
>
> Ben

I don’t know much about it, but the last note from a maintainer said:

Care needs to be taken to avoid system OpenGL,
 if you want to use Mesa3d, while compiling, like
 making sure that it's first in the linker's search
 path. Otherwise, you get runtime errors.

So my thought is that it isn’t compatible with OpenGL.framework

system-pkgconfig-osmesa isn’t related to the mesa package at all—it’s an
indicator for the version of /opt/X11/lib/pkgconfig/osmesa.pc.

—Alex