Re: ode45 inclusion into core

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: ode45 inclusion into core
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 18:52:41 +0200

On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 04:09:54PM +0000, Carlo De Falco wrote:

> On 6 Oct 2015, at 18:02, Richard Crozier <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I know this is deprecated, but I much prefer it to the recommended
> > anonymous function method. Please don't remove it if it already
> > exists.
> >
> > I unfortunately can't remember the exact reasons, but there are
> > issues with saving anonymous functions and their data to files
> > that make this way much less efficient in my application

The (probably sole) issues are:

http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?45972

http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?45969

both of which have supplied patches, so there is hope for next release
series.

> (I use
> > the multicore package, or rather a slightly modified version of
> > it).
> >
> > Richard

With parcellfun, only the results, which probably don't contain
anonymous functions, need to be saved (over a pipe, not to
files). Since your problem obviously concerns additional arguments,
not results, it would be absent if you used parcellfun. Which, I
think, you really should do ...

> OK, if this feature has a reason to be I won't remove it from where
> it is implemented already, but I think we should not insist that new
> implementations of other ode solvers also implement it.
>
> c.

The feature is ugly and should be weeded out where possible,
IMO. Sorry.

Olaf