Re: Octave 4.0 on Mac OS Yosemite (with gui!)

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Octave 4.0 on Mac OS Yosemite (with gui!)
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2015 20:13:46 -0400

> On Oct 5, 2015, at 8:01 PM, Alexander Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> That’d be Fink’s osmesa. :-)
>>>
>>> If I get a chance I’ll see about some modernization there to try to get a
>>> reasonable Octave 4.x into Fink.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
>>> Fink User Liaison
>>
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> Opps. You are correct, I mis-typed. I’m using Fink, not macports … groan!
>>
>> Does Fink’s mesa work with the OpenGL Carbon framework?
>>
>> And what is the relationship between "system-pkgconfig-osmesa 8-1” and the
>> mesa 7.0.2-3 package?
>>
>> Ben
>
> I don’t know much about it, but the last note from a maintainer said:
>
> Care needs to be taken to avoid system OpenGL,
> if you want to use Mesa3d, while compiling, like
> making sure that it's first in the linker's search
> path. Otherwise, you get runtime errors.

I’ll try changing that.

> So my thought is that it isn’t compatible with OpenGL.framework
>
> system-pkgconfig-osmesa isn’t related to the mesa package at all—it’s an
> indicator for the version of /opt/X11/lib/pkgconfig/osmesa.pc.
>
> —Alex

The contents are …

prefix=/opt/X11
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
includedir=${prefix}/include

Name: osmesa
Requires:
Version: 8
Libs: -L${libdir} -lOSMesa
Libs.private: -lm -lpthread
Cflags: -I${includedir}

Sounds like an obviously stupid question … but … Any chance the X11 stuff would
work the Carbon framework, or is it X11 only?

Ben