Re: Octave 4.0 on Mac OS Yosemite (with gui!)

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Octave 4.0 on Mac OS Yosemite (with gui!)
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2015 08:41:19 -0400

> On Oct 6, 2015, at 3:48 AM, Sebastian <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I tried …
>>
>> export CPPFLAGS="-I/sw/include/mesa $CPPFLAGS"
>> export LDFLAGS="-L/sw/lib/mesa -lOSMesa $LDFLAGS”
>>
>> ./configure …
>>
>> but I still get a seg-fault when tying to print using osmesa.
>

> Me too :( I made the same error as Marius: I used gnuplot without noticing
> it.
> I put here again what Mike suggested; just to make sure that we test the
> correct thing.
>
> figure('visible','off');plot(1:10);img=__osmesa_print__(gcf);
>
> Sadly this segfaults with system osmesa (Xquartz 2.7.8_rc1, mesa 10.4.7) and
> also with my homebrewed one (10.5.4), i.e., it's not Apple's fault.
>
> otool -L __osmesa_print__.oct
> __osmesa_print__.oct:
>       /usr/local/lib/libOSMesa.8.dylib (compatibility version 9.0.0, current
> version 9.0.0)
>       /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL
> (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
>
> Did I understand correctly that OpenGL.framework might be the problem? Any
> other idea how to debug this?
>
> Sebastian

I suspect that the OSMesa that accompanies X11 will not play well with Carbon’s
OpenGL.

In any event, the possibilities are;

(1) Use X11 based Qt, OpenGL, and OSMesa
(2)  Use Carbon based Qt, OpenGL, and Carbon compatible OSMesa
(3) Use Carbon based Qt, OpenGL, and use Carbon’s offscreen rendering on Mac OS
X.

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/GraphicsImaging/Conceptual/OpenGL-MacProgGuide/opengl_offscreen/opengl_offscreen.html

We are currently struggling with (2). In the least that combination is tricky,
but maybe it isn’t feasible?

Option (3) is most attractive for Mac OS X users. But I don’t know if anyone in
the development community has the experience to take that on (I don’t).

Ben