Re: uint64_t usage

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: uint64_t usage
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 14:37:24 -0400

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 11:04:37 -0700, Rik wrote:
> After including "stdint.h", can I always rely on uint64_t being available
> to the compiler?  Or do I need to write complicated code with #ifdefs to
> use either uint32_t or uint64_t?

No, it is not guaranteed. My reading of gnulib's stdint.h (which we
are using) is that it will define the macros GL_INT64_T and
GL_UINT64_T if the corresponding 64-bit integer types are available.

> We could also have Octave only support 32-bit binary constants since I
> think uint32_t is guaranteed.

I would like to see 64-bit values supported. Do you intend to return
the value as a uint64 to the interpreter? Or will it be returned as a
double, hence lose precision (as we do currently with 0x integer
constants, something I'd also like to fix)?

--
mike