Re: ode45 inclusion into core

From: Richard Crozier
Subject: Re: ode45 inclusion into core
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 08:26:22 +0100

On 07/10/15 08:02, Olaf Till wrote:
On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 11:03:04PM +0100, Richard Crozier wrote:
On 06/10/15 17:52, Olaf Till wrote:
On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 04:09:54PM +0000, Carlo De Falco wrote:

On 6 Oct 2015, at 18:02, Richard Crozier <address@hidden> wrote:

<snip>

I still wan't to explain my view a bit better than just shouting
'ugly':

- I think anonymous functions, being a general mechanism, are to be
   prefered over explicite extra arguments, which would have to be
   implemented separately for each case.

- The only issue seems to be that currently there are bugs preventing
   anonymous functions from always being saved correctly. It may be
   acceptable for external packages to work around such bugs. But
   within core Octave, the right way is to fix the bugs (which should
   be feasible in these cases, the code is there), instead of working
   around them at other places.

This should not negatively affect you (Richard) (except for a need to
alter your code to use anonymous functions for extra arguments), since
at the time Octave is released with the new ODE functions, the above
bugs should also be fixed.

Olaf

ok, but one question I have, if I create anonymous functions that all use the same data, does this result in the creation three copies of the data in memory? Do variables in anonymous functions obey the copy-on-write semantics even when they are passed into functions via anonymous functions?

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.