Re: Octave-Forge: Proposal to improve package overview page

From: Alexander Barth
Subject: Re: Octave-Forge: Proposal to improve package overview page
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 22:53:44 +0200

Dear Oliver,

This is not possible for all of the current icons, because there is no
vectorized source material in all cases. It should be possible for many
of them, however is it really worth the extra effort to repeat the work
on all icons and prepare quality vector graphics?

Indeed, we might just recommend this for new logos.

> I noticed that you used the netCDF logo from Unidata for the ncarray
> package. I am not sure if we can use that for the "official" page.

I thought it falls under the software's license
(http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/copyright.html):
“… granted the right … to distribute … supporting documentation …”

However, we should definitely double check the licenses. I have a list
of all image material that I used.
OK, I see that you are well aware of this.

The licenses range from public
domain, (L)GPL, GFDL, CC-BY(-SA) to CC0 (see below). We have to properly
attribute some of the original authors and still have to figure out a
sane way to do that (maybe a footnote on the web site?).
Yes, I think that this would a good idea or on a separate page.

> Maybe
> it is the best if the package maintainers (myself for ncarray) provides
> your a logo. Or maybe some volunteers to have consistently themed logos.

Yes, definitely. Please go ahead and prepare better logos for your
packages. I thought it would be good to have some prepared, because
otherwise there would be a lot of packages having none and then the
whole idea would be spoiled.
Yes, I see. It is much easier to get your idea across with actual logos and placeholders.

I guess it is wishful thinking to have a voluntary designer who can
prepare a consistently themed set of package icons for us. Though I'd
love that. In practice it is already hard to find any pictures in
documentation for scientific software. You need some material to start with.
OK, I will see if I can get a idea to make a logo for the ncarray packages. Your really did an excellent job for the logos as they are very descriptive.

Regards,
Alex