Re: Building devel branch with MXE

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Building devel branch with MXE
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 12:14:46 -0400

On 10/15/2015 09:01 PM, Rik wrote:
I'm trying to build the development branch of Octave with MXE.  I made a
tarball from a local repository with 'make dist-bzip2' and placed it in the
pkg directory of MXE.  After that I munged the octave.mk file to look for
version 4.1.0+.

You can also use

  ./configure --enable-octave=default

to tell the build system to use default-octave.mk instead. Then you should only need to put the octave-4.1.0+.tar.gz (not bzip2) file in the pkg directory. Also no checksum is needed in that case.

I've now built all the prerequisites, but I'm failing to
build Octave itself.  First, the patch octave-1-docinstall.patch doesn't
apply because it is looking for doc/interpreter/Makefile.in and there is
now only one Makefile.in at the top-level.  I just deleted the patch for
the time being.

I think that might also be handled correctly if you use the --enable-octave=default configure option.

But now I'm failing on something that looks more
fundamental, a lack of <sys/times.h>.  This has been in the code since 2010
so it isn't a new requirement.

/home/rik/wip/Projects_Mine/mxe-octave/tmp-octave/octave-4.1.0+/libinterp/corefcn/data.cc:31:23:
fatal error: sys/times.h: No such file or directory
  #include <sys/times.h>
                        ^
compilation terminated.

If I do a find in the MXE directory it is clear that there is no times.h
anywhere in the source tree.  Is anyone else having this problem?  Should
we be falling back to gnulib and using the sys_times module to supply this
header file?

If it is needed because it is not part of the build system, or it needs to be patched, then it should be provided by gnulib. Is that not happening in your tmp-octave-4.1.0+ build tree?

I'm doing an mxe-octave build from scratch now to see whether I can duplicate the problem. I should know in an hour or two.