Re: print error and 4.0.1

From: Michael Godfrey
Subject: Re: print error and 4.0.1
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 09:42:03 +0100

On 10/20/2015 08:24 AM, Pantxo wrote:
Rik-4 wrote
> On 10/19/2015 04:00 PM, Michael Godfrey wrote:
>> Rik,
>>
>> I thought about the suggestion of enclosing the actual print call to
>> OpenGL
>> in visible, off ... visible, on...  When I considered this it seemed like
>> overkill. But, now I wonder: is there any reason to have visible on while
>> the plot is being printed? If not, this could not only be a helpful fix
>> for 4.0.1, but it stay in for as long as it takes... It would still be
>> nice to
>> resolve the seg fault bug, but it is likely from what I have learned that
>> it is not entirely an Octave problem. I think that the bug report to
>> the OpenGL folks is still open.
>>
>> The full test should be:
>>
>> if (visible on}
>>     visible off
>>     actual print xxx
>>     visible on
>> else
>>     actual print xxx
>> endif
>>
>> Michael
>>

> Michael, and anyone else who knows more about the print bug,
>
> I think the issue is reversed.  Isn't the problem that when the figure is
> invisible Octave goes through the OSMESA libraries, whereas when it is
> visible it goes through Gl2ps and is okay (at least no segfault).  The big
> issue seems to be OpenGL and patches on Windows systems.  There are more
> than four bug reports about crashes of the plot system on Windows
> platforms
> that usually only involve clicking on a plot with a patch object.
>
> --Rik
Hi,

@Michael:
Offscreen printing only works on some linux machines (those that don't use
proprietary drivers) so I would not recommend to do this change until we
find a way to have it work on most platforms.

@Rik: Can you point to those bugs on windows?
Also, gl2ps_print is called in both situations, either with an OpenGL
context/feedback buffer provided by OSMesa (in case "visible", "off") either
by Qt/FLTK (which use the default installed openGL driver/library depending
on the platform).

Pantxo

Sorry, I did not realize that the Windows problems are very different from the Linux ones,
and also that some Linux systems show parts of the problem, too.
So, forget my suggestion. It seems it only works on some Linux systems, like Fedora.
However, answering Rik, I should add that the two problems: 1) clicking on a window
after it was drawn, and 2) doing anything to a window as it was being drawn both of
which affected my Fedora system with Intel HD 5000/6000 video, have definitely been
fixed. As long as I use visible 0ff, print, visible on I have no plotting or printing problems.
(This is for the current dev system.) When a pre-4.0.1 becomes available, I will check it.

Michael