Re: Time for a 4.0.1 bug fix release?

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Time for a 4.0.1 bug fix release?
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 14:32:49 +0000

On 20 October 2015 at 00:28, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 10/19/2015 12:09 PM, Carnë Draug wrote:
>>
>> On 19 October 2015 at 16:19, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> What should be done about the packages that go with the MXE releases?
>> Was there any consensus about what versions to use for that?  Should we:
>
> [...]
> For the Windows binary I'll use whatever packages you decide are best. I
> have no strong opinion about that, except that it's probably best to err on
> the side of stability, whatever that means.  How to decide that might vary
> from package to package.

I went through the list of packages, and their new releases.  Here's what
I found.

TL;DR:

* update the image, netcdf, stk, and generate_html packages
* do not update strings, nurbs, and tsa
* ask package maintainers for control, io, and ltfat
* all other packages have not been updated since

And now with mode details:

control:
  * Octave released with 2.8.1
  * new releases are 2.8.2, to 2.8.5
  * they fix several bugs, add new functions, and add new features
  * to many changes and too specific for me to judge

generate_html:
  * Octave released with 0.1.8
  * new release 0.1.9
  * The main use of this package is generation of the html for package
    releases of Octave Forge.  Because of this, its main users are
    Octave Forge developers.
  * Its users are most likely installing the package themselves so changes
    here shouldn't make much difference.
  * The package is almost useless unless on the very last release since
    I will reject releases otherwise (the generated html needs to match
    the rest of the website).
  * update to 0.1.9

image:
  * octave released with 2.4.0
  * last release is 2.4.1 (from the package stable branch)
  * only fixes regressions and a segfault
  * all other changes to the package have gone into the package default
    branch so are not released.
  * update to 2.4.1

io
  * octave released with 2.2.7
  * new releases are 2.2.8 to 2.2.11
  * fix several bugs, adds new features
  * to many changes and too specific for me to judge

ltfat
  * octave released with 2.1.0
  * new release 2.1.1
  * adds a bunch of new functions.  The NEWS file suggests that's everything
    but the logs of the repository show many other changes.
  * probably should not be updated but ask the package maintainer.

netcdf
  * octave released with 1.0.6
  * new release 1.0.7
  * the only change on the new release is required for MXE cross-compilation.
    This change was already applied on the 1.0.6 released with Octave anyway,
    so there will actually be no change.
  * update to 1.0.7

nurbs
  * octave released with 1.3.9
  * new release 1.3.10
  * includes a patch require for compatibility with Octave 4.0 but that's
    already included in the patched package in Octave.
  * has several other changes, including "changed the format of geopdes files",
    and change of behaviour "return an error if a point is outside the knotspan"
  * do not update

stk
  * octave released with 2.3.0
  * new released 2.3.1 to 2.3.3
  * several minor bug fixes which seem fine
  * update to 2.3.3 but check with package maintainer

strings
  * octave released with 1.1.0
  * new release 1.2.0
  * the update rewrites one function and removes two.
  * One of removed functions is strjoin which is required to play nice with
    Octave 4.0.0.  However, the version with Octave is patched to remove
    this function.
  * do not update

tsa
  * octave released with 4.2.9
  * new release is 4.3.2
  * most of the changes are build options, and compatibility with new Matlab
  * there's a documentation change and a small optimization to skip
    computations in specific case
  * do not update

No new version since Octave 4.0.0 release, keep as is:

  communications-1.2.1
  database-2.3.2
  dataframe-1.1.0
  data-smoothing-1.3.0