Re: Request for write access on OctaveForge server

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: Request for write access on OctaveForge server
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2015 08:53:24 +0100

On 31.10.2015 22:08, Carlo de Falco wrote:

> Il 31/ott/2015 17:32, "Lukas Reichlin" <address@hidden
> <mailto:address@hidden>> ha scritto:
>>

>> > On 31.10.2015, at 14:41, Carlo De Falco <address@hidden
> <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>> >

>> > On 31 Oct 2015, at 10:46, Lukas Reichlin
> <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>>

> tracker, just a few hours after parallel-3.0.3 (by Olaf Till).
> Additionally, I sent an e-mail to Carnë, asking him that he should
> upload it to the OctaveForge server as soon as possible.

> OctaveForge server and removed its ticket on the package release
> tracker, but he failed to do so for control-3.0.0 for no apparent
> reason. He did not respond to my enquiry on Friday evening, and
> control-3.0.0 is still waiting for being published on OctaveForge until now.

> during the last few weeks (and as I am on edge), this situation is very
> frustrating to me (and it is not the first time).
> server so I can publish my future package releases (control and
> quaternion) on my own.

>> > Lukas,
>> >
>> > I totally agree with all other replies to your email,
>> > I am sure this delay is just due to lack of time from Carnë
>> > and the correct way to avoid similar problems in the future
>> > is to add more release technicians to Octave Forge.
>> >
>> > If you would like to be one of the volunteers working on package
>> > release I would fully support your offer.
>> >
>> > c.
>> >

>> Thank you for your support. I would prefer a setting with a
> OctaveForge maintainer (Carnë) who can also change the website’s layout.
> Besides him, long-term package maintainers with frequent releases should
> be able to upload their packages on their own. This would reduce Carnë’s
> workload effectively while responsibility remains clear, e.g. who has to
> upload a package posted on the package release tracker.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Lukas
>
> This would be a good solution and was actually the plan for agora.
> Unfortunately I don't think it's easy to set up things this way on
> source forge.
> c.

Does this raise the question to move away from SourceForge again?

Tuxfamily.org could be an alternative for us. They allow several
repositories per project. You could use unix file permissions to control
access to the FTP and ACLs to control access to individual services and
repositories. However, I do not have practical experience with them.

Lately I had another problem with SourceForge, when scientist from Iran
could not download our packages, because they are blocked by SourceForge
[1]. I had to send them the files by e-mail.

Oliver

[1]
https://sourceforge.net/blog/clarifying-sourceforgenets-denial-of-site-access-for-certain-persons-in-accordance-with-us-law/