Re: default colormap

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: default colormap
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2015 07:16:41 -0500

> On Nov 4, 2015, at 5:54 AM, Pantxo <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Carlo de Falco-2 wrote
>> On 4 Nov 2015, at 00:02, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso &lt;
>
>> jordigh@
>
>> &gt; wrote:

>>> Btw, why can't we just set it to parula? I can't see why this colour
>>> map is any different from our existing ones that match Matlab's. It
>>> doesn't matter how the Mathworks created parula as long as we
>>> replicate parula without consulting Matlab's source code.
>>>
>>> How did we replicate the other colour maps?
>>>
>>> - Jordi G. H.
>>
>> Jordi,
>>
>> The same discussion has gone on over at the matplotlib mailing list,
>> I don't have the link at hand right now but I will try to find it.
>>
>> IIRC the point is that it seems TMW are claiming "intellectual property"
>> rights over the colormap itself, not the code that implements it.
>>
>> Whether such a claim makes sense or not is unclear to me, but the reaction
>> of the matplotlib guys was: "well, if they do not wat us to use parula,
>> why
>> not try to do something better?" I like their approach ...
>>
>> After all, do we really need compatibility at this level?
>> There's good reasons to not use jet as the default colormap, but
>> do we really need to care that the default colormap be exactly the same as
>> Matlab?
>>

>> c.
>
> Seconded, I very much like viridis which fixes all the issues raised by Jet,
> and is not so different from ML's "parula". Why try to mimic parula (and
> eventually get into troubles) when we already have a very good replacement?
> As for compatibility we could make "colormap ('parula')" return a warning
> such as "parula is proprietary, you may use viridis as free replacement".
>
> Pantxo

Mathworks recenlty changed a lot of things when it introduced its new graphics
system.

http://blogs.mathworks.com/loren/2014/11/05/matlab-r2014b-graphics-part-3-compatibility-considerations-in-the-new-graphics-system/

I’m not sure what “compatible” means at the moment. The pre-2014b Matlab and
post-2014b Matlab are not compatible with each other. The default colormap is a
trivial example.

Ben