Re: Proposal for new Octave website

From: Alex Krolick
Subject: Re: Proposal for new Octave website
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 00:15:37 -0800

> On the other hand, if one cannot edit directly links will go stale, mistakes go unfixed. The wiki has the advantage that one can just update at will. I wonder if some solution can be found so it becomes easy to edit these new pages.

I made the site with Jekyll, which is a static site generator. The main pages are all Markdown---pretty easy to edit. The index is plain HTML but not too bad to work with, in my opinion. Considering the current site is also static, this should probably be a separate discussion point once the content is hammered out.

What about a buttons that says "Packages" or "Extend Octave"

The Forge section could be bumped up into the installation section and a link could be added to the top bar, but I am not sure if that information is useful to newcomers. New users won't know what packages they need until they are familiar with the core library. There should probably be a Getting Started guide that covers the basic architecture of the project, syntax, usage of the basic modules, etc. at a level between the syntax examples and the docs.

-Alex