Re: Mac OS Binary

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Mac OS Binary
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 01:29:24 +0000

On 14 November 2015 at 19:35, Sebastian <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> can you try the following Octave 4.0.0 build based on homebrew? It
> should run on >10.10. I will create a wiki-page once one of you has
> confirmed that the file is actually working...
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7gq5fe7badj40s/Octave-Installer.dmg?dl=0
>
> The final dmg will have a nice background, readme.txt, a GPL information
> and the list of dependencies that I have attached to this mail; after our
> discussion on the mailing list I consider this as sufficient for shipping.
>
> The creation of the dmg is totally automated (script attached), so we
> could offer daily builds of the development version if we like to.

This build is using GraphicsMagick built with quantum depth 8.  This
limits the image reading to 8bit per pixel.  It is a problem because
16 bit have been the norm in science for a long time, and even just
for photography they are getting increasingly common.

Since Octave is a scientific application, it makes sense to bump this
for this builds.

It is my understanding that it is enough to pass "with-quantum-depth-16"
to homebrew the installation of graphicsmagick.

I just reported a bug with homebrew to change this too [1].

Carnë

[1] https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/issues/46101