Re: Code sprint in 2015?

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Code sprint in 2015?
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 09:14:49 -0800

On 11/24/2015 07:06 AM, Olaf Till wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 12:59:33PM +0000, Carlo De Falco wrote:
>> On 24 Nov 2015, at 07:42, Olaf Till <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> But I found it useful. Can this information be easily accessed with a
>>> different command then?
>> yes, the "which" command gives that information if you explicitely need it.
> Oh yes, thanks. So I hope it's only the potential plan to change the
> output of "help", not of "which".

Olaf,

Yes.  There was some discussion on the Maintainer's List a year or so ago
and 'which' was the conclusion that we arrived at.  Most of the time it
makes no difference whether something is a "Mapping Function" or a
"Loadable Function".  But very occasionally you might be interested, and
'which' will give that information.  One example that was relevant at the
time was code performance.  If the profiler reports that function XXX is
the slowest part of your code then the question of implementation, m-file
or C++, for XXX is worthwhile to know.

--Rik