Re: polar(i)

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: polar(i)
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 10:51:06 -0500

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 9:51 AM, Muhali <address@hidden> wrote:
I meant it the other way round, of course. polar(i) should be at (0,1) and
not at (1,0).

I think that the idea is:

We can write a complex number in Cartesian or polar form.
Cartesian is easy a=x+yi
but how to write it in polar form in Octave?
We normally  write it as Mag  at an angle.
using < to mean an angle    2<.7     mag of 2 at an angle of .7 rad
How to input that in Octave?
one way is to use the real part of a complex number to hold the magnitude
and the imaginary part to hold the angle.
This is what an engineer would expect BUT
Octave and probably matlab do it backwards.
try
a=pi/2+1j
polar(a,'x')

so to use polar notation of complex numbers use

a=angle+mag*j

Don't confuse this with pol2cart   and cart2pol  they are quite different.

I hope this helps :-)

--
DAS