Re: Archetype for C++ function

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: Archetype for C++ function
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 16:34:37 +0100

On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 08:55:12AM -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 12/06/2015 11:07 PM, Rik wrote:
> >In browsing through the code I see there has been some confusion as to what
> >data type to use for nargin.  The two most common templates are
> >
> >--- nargin templates ---
> >int nargin = args.length ();
> >octave_idx_type nargin = args.length ();
> >--- End Code ---
> >
> >I propose standardizing on the first since it is shorter.
>
> Using int should be OK as I don't think it is reasonable for it to ever be
> larger than 2^31.  At least I hope no one ever needs that.  Can you imagine
> a case where that could be true?

Maybe something like the following:

horzcat (large_cell_array{:})

Indeed a similar line is currently in scripts/general/cell2mat.m. And
if someone wants to handle matrices so large that octave_idx_type is
needed, it is probably equally legitimate to handle cell-arrays
(containing numbers) of that size.

But why not deciding for each function separately if octave_idx_type
could be needed ...

Olaf