Re: Sci-cosim toolbox approval for source forge

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Sci-cosim toolbox approval for source forge
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 15:08:54 -0500

On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 11:12:50 +0300, Romanov Alexey wrote:
> Hi, i've update sci_cosim toolbox to make it compatible with Windows version
> of Octave.
> New version can be found: https://github.com/amromanov/sci_cosim
>
> sci_cosim toolbox was mainly developed to replace Simulink in Octave
> simulations with xcos.
> But as it provides variable sharing between Octave and Scilab and running
> commands in Scilab,
> it makes possible to use those Scilab toolboxes from Octave, that are not
> available directly from Octave.
> I think it could be also interesting type of application.
>
> So I am asking to test this toolbox and approve it for publishing on source
> forge.

I just volunteered to do a dumb user install of this for Doug (I am not
at all familiar with Scilab / Xcos).

Getting Scilab set up was not too difficult. It's worth noting that
installing the Backdoor module did something to the Scilab environment
that prevented me from loading a zcos file from the command line:

  scilab -f foo.zcos

just opened Scilab with a "Graphic window number 0" and no Xcos window.

Installing the sci_cosim package in Octave prints this message:

  >> pkg install sci_cosim_0.1.2.tar.gz
  skipping line

and the normal "news" message is missing, so it looked to me like
package installation failed when in fact it was successful. This would
be nice to fix. I think it's because of the line after "Description:".
If that's part of Description, I think it should be one long line.

Also note that "Autoload: yes" is now discouraged.

Looking at the contents of sci_cosim_0.1.2.tar.gz, it contains m-files
inside a src directory, this looks wrong to me, should be inst rather
than src.

Hope this helps you improve your package and installation notes.

--
mike