Re: 4.0.1 and 4.2 releases

From: Michael Godfrey
Subject: Re: 4.0.1 and 4.2 releases
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 18:35:40 +0000

On 12/09/2015 09:49 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
I will try to work on a 4.0.1 in the next week or so. I think we should make that release soon to provide a stable version of Octave with the collection of bug fixes that have been made in the last few months.

Then I would like to focus on a 4.2 release and possibly make that within the first few months of 2016. Given the large amount of restructuring that has happened because of the change to using exceptions for error handling in the Octave C++ sources it will become very difficult to merge any changes from stable to default. So making the 4.2 release from the default branch will probably help us with maintenance.

Comments?

jwe
John,

As you well know, I am usually in favor of keeping the time difference
between released code and development versions a short as possible.
So, getting the 4.0.1 release done soon is a good first step.  The bigger
challenge will be to make a prompt release of 4.2. Have you thought
about whether 4.2 or 5.0 is appropriate?  In any case, I would go for
"the sooner the better."

In any case, over all the progress seems very encouraging.

Michael