Re: Fix for bug #41178

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Fix for bug #41178
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 16:57:39 -0500

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 12:11:26 -0800, Rik wrote:
> The fix for bug #41178 was simply to move a function from a header file to
> a .cc file.  Given that the function is just one line, shouldn't it be
> declared as inline now that it is no longer in the header file?

Can you demonstrate that that will have any effect? My understanding is
that "inline" is a hint to the compiler, and only when the function body
is available via the header file. I think adding the word "inline" would
have no effect at all.

I originally pushed this change to the default branch because I thought
it might change the library interface, a bad thing to do on a bug fix
release. But I think it's ok, the only change I see is that the function
used to be compiled in to the library as a weak symbol, and is now a
normal symbol. I think these are compatible.

--
mike