Re: Opinions on look of documentation

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Opinions on look of documentation
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 17:12:37 -0500

On 12/11/2015 04:44 PM, Rik wrote:

It is Texinfo that is placing the ':' in the output.  To code this properly
would require creating our own @defXXX command in texinfo.tex which would
probably require us to ship that file with the distribution.  We used to do
that up until version 4.0.

Changing texinfo.tex won't have any effect on the output from makeinfo. It will only change the PDF or DVI+PostScript output.

If it is not possible to configure makeinfo to display this way, I guess
we could fix that with a sed filter.

We could hack it externally in sed, or with regexprep in Octave which might
be more portable.  The command help is used interactively so I don't think
performance is an issue (it operates on a slow human time scale).

Also, why the extra space before "ls..." vs. "LIST..."?  Where is that
coming from?

Also Texinfo.  This might be fixable if we manipulate the texinfo.tex file.

Hmm, I don't see the problem on my system.  I'm using

  $ makeinfo --version
  texi2any (GNU texinfo) 6.0