Re: use of "Octave:invalid-input-arg" as warning id

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: use of "Octave:invalid-input-arg" as warning id
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 16:21:48 +0100

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 3:53 PM, Carlo De Falco <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The ode solvers newly introduced in core raise a warning
> with id "Octave:invalid-input-arg" when an otion is not
> set in the input to tell the user that the default value
> is being used.
>
> This behaviour seems to have been introduced by this changeset
>
> $ hg log -r 20631
> changeset:   20631:00caf63edcdf
> parent:      20629:ab705b42cfd8
> user:        Rik <address@hidden>
> date:        Fri Oct 16 10:31:02 2015 -0700
> summary:     maint: Remove obsolete ODE options from odeset/odeget/ode45.
>
> In order to replace warning id "OdePkg:InvalidArgument" which is
> not correct in a core function.
>
> I'm not sure the current behaviour is correct either, though, as
>
> 1) "Octave:invalid-input-arg" is listed in the docs as an error_id but not as
> a warning_id
> 2) the documentation says
> 'Octave:invalid-input-arg'
>      Indicates that a function was called with invalid input arguments.
> but actually this warning is raised when no value is beeing supplied.
>
> Any idea how to deal with this cleanly?
>
> c.

It was always quite annoying to get a warning when a default value is
used. Using a default value is not an error, and the user has to be
made aware of the defaults value via the documentation.
I think the cleanest thing is to not generate any warnings, unless of
course, we are attaching to mathworks idiosyncrasy.