Re: New website

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: New website
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 12:28:00 -0500

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 7:37 AM, Jan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello maintainers,
>

> I am 21 years old student of civil engineering using Octave mostly for
> linear algebra calculations while studying. Octave saved me a lot of time
> with solving matrices for me, that's why I would like to thank you with a
> special Christmas present.
>
> This present is called new website. I am programming web applications in my
> spare time, so I decided to make a little remake of the current old/ugly
> website. You can see the new design on the following link:
> http://greatdanton.github.io/Octave-website/index.html
>

> 1) As you might notice website is nowhere near being complete, but it's
> getting better with every day. I tried to follow current trends in web
> design, so the final result will be elegant responsive website. Please tell
> me what you think, I would love to hear your suggestions, comments (what is
> missing on the website, what would you like to see, etc...).
>

> 2) I would need few screenshots of what one is able to do with Octave. I am
> using it only for eigenvectors calculations, matrix multiplications from cmd
> line and those screenshots are not really appealing thing to see.
>

> Maybe post/send me/ some of the interesting stuff you did with it (graphs?)
>

> Also I would need some help with the text on the website (capabilities
> section, etc...). So far I just copied few sentences from FAQ or the current
> website.
>

> 3). I tried to keep file sizes at minimum, to ensure faster website load. I
> hope in 2016 we dont need to watch for every extra kb that needs to be
> downloaded, so I used icon font as well.
>

> I am looking forward to hearing from you,
>

> Jan

That is a very clean look.

Some thoughts: I'm not a fan of the 'click the arrow to slide down and read more' entry to the page. Also, I'm in the office with no signal so I can't check for myself, but how well does it appear in a mobile browser?  That's a big factor in the google pagerank algorithm now.  I believe google has a 'mobile view test' page somewhere.

Nick J.