Re: build_packages.m script, visibility?

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: build_packages.m script, visibility?
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 18:11:29 -0500

On Dec 25, 2015 5:51 PM, "Oliver Heimlich" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 02.12.2015 19:26, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
> > JohnD wrote
> >
> >> jankowskin@
> >
> >> &gt;
> >
> >> octave-maintainers@
> >
> >> &gt;

> >> the
> >> realized I
> >> he

> >> readme.html
> >>>

> >> By default, isn't the checkbox for displaying the README enabled?
> >>
> >> We could probaly add a reminder on the last screen of the installer to run
> >> the build_packages script, however whats the chances that anyone will take
> >> notice of that either? :)
> >>
> >> I had started looking at installing the packages in the build so that when
> >> installed vide the installer, everything is already there and then the
> >> build_packages script will not be required anymore.
> >> I'll try to get back to relooking at that.
> >
> > Wasn't the issue that the cross-built-for-windows Octave executable had to
> > be run to "preinstall" the packages in the host (Linux) system?
> > A way out would be to reenable native MinGW builds. But I'm unsure if that
> > still works - I haven't tried it for ages.
> >
> > Once there the NSIS stuff from e.g., the octave-3.2.4 installer can be
> > re-used (that has check boxes for individual OF packages). That code is
> > still somewhere in octave.sf.net
> >
> > Philip
>
> How is the progress on this? I have just tried the Octave 4.0.1 rc1 on
> Windows. I have found the after-install-hint to run build_packages.m.
>
> My first try was not successful. I did not run Octave and
> build_packages.m as administrator and was not allowed to install the
> packages. There was no error message at all, but no package was
> installed. Then I tried to start Octave as administrator, which is not
> easy because the .vbs files do not offer such option in the context
> menu. I managed to locate octave.bat with explorer, I could run
> octave.bat as administrator.
>
> I have observed that build_packages.m goes through the whole pkg install
> process and takes a lot of time.
>
> Having the option to install precompiled packages from the installer
> would definitely be much better.
>
> I have found compiled .oct files in the package tarballs shipped with
> the windows installer.  I could use these without recompilation on my
> windows machine! So, shouldn't it be possible to install packages with
> the installer? Why does build_packages.m recompile all .oct files?
>
> Oliver

I always install via the zip file version and don't run into any admin issues with packages. Can anyone comment if this is always the case, or only for certain packages? Same problem with the pkg install or pkg update commands?

Having it install the default when the program is installed would (should) be easier as it should occur with the same access level used to run the Octave installer.

Would this happen by opening an instance of Octave set to run the build packages script and exit? Can they be "built" before building the installer so they're already installed?