Re: .desktop filename

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: .desktop filename
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2016 08:45:17 -0600

On Sat, Jan 02, 2016 at 00:49:32 -0800, Colin Macdonald wrote:
> Why does Octave install "www.octave.org-octave.deskop" instead of just
> "octave.desktop"?  Is it intended/desired?  I don't see other projects
> doing that.

The reason is because of the freedesktop standards [1] that say that
each desktop entry can have a "vendor" prefix. On my system I see a
handful of debian-*.desktop, gnome-*.desktop, and libreoffice-*.desktop
files that are following that convention. We happen to use
www.octave.org as the vendor string.

However, a different standard [2] (maybe superseding the first) says
that a reverse DNS style prefix should be used, so maybe it should now
be org.octave.octave.desktop.

[1]: http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-latest.html
[2]:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html