Re: Item groups in bug tracker: "incorrect result" too broad, and masked

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Item groups in bug tracker: "incorrect result" too broad, and masked by "regression"
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 00:16:09 -0500

On 01/11/2016 08:20 PM, LachlanA wrote:

A discussion came up in a bug report in which A(x,y) is assigned a value,
and after assigning to other elements of A,  A(x,y) has a totally new value.
This is clearly a major problem, since it makes numerical results from
Octave untrustworthy.

This seems the sort of bug that should be flagged "incorrect result".  I'd
like to find all such gross errors and try to fix them, but this is hard
because "incorrect result" also sounds like the most appropriate item group
for things like unexpected behaviour of the GUI.

Yeah, I didn't find better words for these things so mostly you see what I came up with. I'd be happy for them to be better. I don't expect that it will be possible to get people to choose the correct thing just because we have better words. For example, I see that many people now think "crash" means "Octave gave me an error" instead of "Octave exited unexpectedly with a fatal signal". But at least we could choose better categories for sorting once the reports are submitted.

To make matters worse, the A(x,y) bug was a regression.  It is useful to
know that, but flagging it as "Item group"="regression" hid the serious
nature of the bug -- it was not longer "incorrect result".  Perhaps the
seriousness could have  been flagged by the underused "severity" field, but
that isn't something a submitter can't do.

Regression generally means a high priority bug to fix, but you may be right that it should be flagged in some other way, perhaps just by increasing the priority.

I proposed splitting "incorrect result" into two: one (perhaps "wrong
answer") clearly for numerical errors and one (perhaps "wrong behaviour")
intended for errors in other settings.

But even if something is not a numerical function (GUI behavior, for example) incorrect behavior is still an incorrect result, I think.

> Michael Godfrey suggested that
"wrong answer" may still be too broad and suggested "fatal error".  I
personally think this sounds like either a crash of Octave or a  bug that
crashes the users code, rather than a grossly wrong answer.  Perhaps "gross
numerical error" is the right term, but to me that suggests something like
amplified roundoff errors (e.g., 1 / (a-b) for  similar a and b).

Does anyone have suggestions for this, or how to specify a regression
without masking the other item-group values?  Does anyone have suggestions
for how to prioritise debugging effort, given most bugs have the default
priority and severity?

Other than that, I have no clue what is best. Sorry. But I did just notice that I recently added "Performance" to the list of Categories, when maybe it should be an "Item Group" instead? I don't know. I'm not even sure now what the difference between "Category" and "Item Group" is supposed to be. Oh, I see that Savannah has the following descriptions on the page that is used to edit fields and field values:

  Category
    Select Box
Generally high level modules or functionalities of the software (e.g. User interface, Configuration Manager, etc)

  Item Group
    Select Box
Characterizes the nature of the item (e.g. Crash Error, Documentation Typo, Installation Problem, etc

Before choosing new names for things, or adding more names, maybe it would be best to define what it is you want to be able to categorize?