Re: The Feynman Lectures on Physics Online Edition

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: The Feynman Lectures on Physics Online Edition
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 10:27:21 -0800

On Jan 12, 2016, at 2:16 AM, Michael A. Gottlieb <address@hidden> wrote:

Hello,

Michael Godfrey forwarded the following to me from this list, written by John S.:

This [online edition of The Feynman Lectures] does not render well in my browser. The MathJax numbers use a different font with a different weight compared to the surrounding text, which looks very bad.
MathJax looks bad in Google Chrome on OSX unless I right click and go choose Math Settings-Math Renderer and select SVG as the renderer. The HTML-CSS, Common HTML (which was the default), and Fast HTML all look really bad for me.

This concerns me because I am the editor of The Feynman Lectures on Physics (FLP) and the publisher of the online edition. I also find it surprising because I use Google Chrome on OSX and don't see any problems with the rendering of mathematics by MathJax in the online edition of FLP.

That  VG rendering works right but HTML-CSS doesn't on your system suggests a font problem... but (if you haven't changed the MathJax defaults) any fonts missing from your OS should be downloaded automatically when they are needed.

I would like to help resolve this problem, if I can.

Mike Gottlieb

I wasn’t talking about the FLP website looking bad. I was talking about going and using the Live Demo page from https://www.mathjax.org/ and I had to mess around with the setting of the MathJax output to set it to SVG output to get it to look “good”.

Here are some examples of the difference between HTML-CSS vs SVG. The other HTML options are even worse than HTML-CSS. You can see that a lot of the spacing and alignment just looks “off” for the HTML-CSS option, particularly when combining multiple marks above the letter. Below are a couple examples of the HTML-CSS output and then the SVG output.