Re: Long time for first plot on Windows

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Long time for first plot on Windows
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 17:04:03 -0500

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 4:52 PM, John Swensen <address@hidden> wrote:

On Jan 13, 2016, at 1:09 PM, Nicholas Jankowski <address@hidden> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 4:00 PM, John Swensen <address@hidden> wrote:
I have a student who has started using Octave for some of our simulations and ran into the problem of the first plot taking a long, long time to show up described at
and
Apparently, plotting works fast and fine after the initial 2 minute wait for the first plot to show up.

I tried to search through the bug reports on Savannah to see if one matches, but I couldn’t seem to find one.

Is this a known issue?
Does it have a workaround?

If not, I will submit a bug report, but wanted to check in here before cluttering the Savannah bug tracker even more.

It is a known issue.  I think this bug captures most of the details, not sure if there's another one. I'll peek and respond if I find another.
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?45458

I don't know if anyone on windows was ever able to isolate the problem. With me it has been very intermittent.  Sometimes there's a delay, sometimes not. Hasn't been an issue at all for a while. I also know that I first encountered it before version 4.0.0.  maybe on 3.6.4?

We had another bug report related to a long delay when calling the pager (anything that has more than one screen's worth of text to display).  Never able to isolate a cause.  Never sure if it was related to the plotting delay.
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?45475

Nick J.

Ooh. This reasoning looks pretty promising. I will try to figure out whether the font cache is getting wiped out on every restart for some reason. Thanks for the link. I am either seriously bad at using the Savannah search or it doesn’t do a good job of searching. I swear I used keywords like “Windows”, “plot”, and “delay” and this one wasn’t even in the list.

Thanks,
John

i use google.

"<searchterm>" site:"http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?29813"