So much technical debt, so little time

From: Rik
Subject: So much technical debt, so little time
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 12:12:57 -0800

1/15/16

jwe,

The 4.2 release will be significantly better for hacking on given all the
clean up of the code that has occurred.  Until then, more niggling issues.
I notice that the build system is producing .dirstamp, .octave-dirstamp,
and XXX.stamp files.  Is there a reason for all this diversity?  What
caught my attention was "test/bc-overload-tests.stamp" and
"scripts/java/images.stamp".  Both of these files are visible because they
are not preceded by a leading '.'.  Since they are really internal build
files, can they be hidden?

--Rik