Re: Item groups in bug tracker: "incorrect result" too broad, and masked

From: LachlanA
Subject: Re: Item groups in bug tracker: "incorrect result" too broad, and masked by "regression"
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 17:06:48 -0800 (PST)

Greetings all,

It struck me that "matlab compatibility" could also usefully be refined into
"missing matlab functionality" and "matlab-incompatible answer".  Again, the
distinction I'm trying to capture is bugs that silently given the wrong
answer (which I consider very serious), and those that manifest themselves
clearly.

In summary, I recommend the groups:

None
Build Failure
Installation Failure
Octave Crash
Incorrect Behaviour
Incorrect Answer
Inaccurate Answer
Incorrect Documentation
Matlab-incompatible Answer
Valid Matlab Code Fails
Performance
Feature Request
Other

(Note that the number of groups is unchanged, because I've omitted
"Matlab?!?" and "Unknown" which is the same as to "None".)

To reduce the issue of users misusing the "category" and "group" fields, we
could possibly have an interactive "bug_report" command within Octave, with
a sequence of questions to find the right group.  This could also ensure
that code is properly quoted, and automatically gather useful context: at
least their operating system and Octave version, and optionally their
command history and/or workspace.  Would that be feasible and/or useful?