Re: goto vs. return?

From: Michael Godfrey
Subject: Re: goto vs. return?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 06:06:32 -0800 (PST)

There are 2 issues being referred to here:

1. Style
2. Substance

It should be clear that substance comes first. Careful thought about how
best to express the computation comes before any style issues.  Once it
is clear what is best in principle it is time to think about clarity of
style.
This may vary depending on what is being expressed so fixed rules about
style may not be best. Clarity given the task that is being expressed is
a useful rule.
To indicate what I mean I can mention one of the best programmers I
ever knew (He also worked with Knuth.). One day I was talking with him
about his current project, which was a very challenging compiler effort,
and he mentioned that one of its functions was coming out to be
substantially
slower than he had expected. Specifically about 20% slower. In trying
to cheer him up I said "well at least you must have much of the coding
done". He looked surprised and answered "I have not started on any coding
yet."

Just a reminder.
Michael