Re: Latex interpreter via Mathjax + Qt

From: Pantxo Diribarne
Subject: Re: Latex interpreter via Mathjax + Qt
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 13:59:11 +0100

On Wed, 2016-01-13 at 01:36 -0800, Pantxo wrote:
> Michael Godfrey wrote
> > On 01/12/2016 11:58 AM, George Apostolopoulos wrote:
> >> I have reviewed octave's latex+ps combination which is very interesting.
> >> However, apart from the added processing steps, I am missing the
> >> possibility to create a single, self-contained eps file for one figure.
> >> This is required when sending a manuscript to publishers.
> > I am a bit surprised by this. I cannot remember a publisher requiring
> > eps. As far as I know the publishers take PDF or as needed jpeg.
> > This is generally in the scientific literature, or even IEEE, for example.
> > For various reasons PS and EPS seem to be on the way out. But, if there
> > is still a need they should be supported.
> >
> > In any case, thanks for taking an interest in this. Anything that you
> > can do will surely be helpful.
> >
> > Best,
> > Michael
>
> @Michael: in physics at least, there are still many important publishers
> that prefer eps (e.g. [1, 2]) figure format.
>
> @George: you can produce a standalone eps file using latex and dvips, e.g.;
> plot (1:10)
> print -depsstandalone foo.tex
> system ("latex foo.tex; dvips foo.dvi -o foo.eps")
>
> But I still think not having to rely on latex being installed to support
> latex interpreter would be great! Looking forward to hearing from your
> tests.
>
> Pantxo
>
> [1] IOP : http://publishing.aip.org/authors/preparing-graphics
> [2] APS (physical review letters and others):
> http://journals.aps.org/authors/tips-authors-physical-review-physical-review-letters
>

> --

I finally found the time to put together a test of Qt + OpenGL + file
output. The results are not encouraging ....
1) The rendering of svg/mathjax on the QGLWidget is not satisfactory. It
appears to be rasterized.
2) The gl2ps file output does not contain any of the graphics produced
by Qt painter on the widget. See attached screenshot.

You can view the test project on https://github.com/gapost/qgl2ps

Any ideas are welcome.

George

Unfortunately the first point explains the second: Qt somewhat produces a pixmap that must be rendered on-screen using opengl texture which in turn is not captured by gl2ps (e.g. Octave directly passes images to gl2ps, not through the feedback buffer).

You could still parse and draw the svg using opengl primitives (using an external library like https://github.com/micahpearlman/MonkSVG is probably overkill)  but this is  harder work than the original project (and probably slow).

Pantxo
@George: did you take a look at this https://github.com/zackr/qt_svg ? It renders any svg file on an opengl canvas. I produced the same svg equation as yours (using latex/dvisvgm) and at least the on-screen output is much better. What differs from what you have done? Is it still raster image or opengl primitives?

Pantxo