Re: warnings generating Java .class files

From: Rik
Subject: Re: warnings generating Java .class files
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 07:15:44 -0800

On 01/26/2016 09:00 AM, address@hidden wrote:
Subject:
warnings generating Java .class files
From:
"John W. Eaton" <address@hidden>
Date:
01/25/2016 05:30 PM
To:
Octave Maintainers List <address@hidden>
CC:
address@hidden
7bit
Message:
5

I see the following warning when generating Java .class files when building Octave:

  warning: [options] bootstrap class path not set in conjunction with -source 1.3

Is there some way we can eliminate this warning?

jwe,

Yes.  See this blog post about the introduction of the message (https://blogs.oracle.com/darcy/entry/bootclasspath_older_source).  The issue is that the build system is cross-compiling Java code assuming a target VM of 1.3, but using more modern libraries (likely 1.7).  I don't think this is really an issue for us because we don't intend to take the bytecode and run it back on a 1.3 VM.  Rather, we just need the compiler to use the syntax appropriate for a relatively early version of Java so that it will run on any later version of the VM.  In any case, the warning is useless to us since we have never acted on it and don't intend to so we might as well shut it up.  I did that here (http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/36b27fac6bc9).

--Rik