Re: Why does Octave ignore additional input arguments ?

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: Why does Octave ignore additional input arguments ?
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 22:38:11 +0100

Le 08/02/2016 21:57, Olaf Till a écrit :
On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 06:59:27PM +0100, Julien Bect wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>I was wondering whether there is a specific reason why Octave silently
>ignores additional input arguments in a function.
>
>For instance:
>
> >>F = @(x) x^2;  F(2, 3)
>ans =  4
>
>while in Matlab I get a "Too many input arguments" error.
>
>@++
>Julien
This was discussed in the thread starting with:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-octave/2009-08/msg00037.html

Summarizing, this behaviour of Octave might have been introduced
without a strong reason, but it has regarded as to be useful.

Thanks for the link, Olaf. I assumed this would have been discussed but I had failed to find the relevant thread.

I have to confess that I'm not really convinced by the reasons given to keep the current behaviour...

But this has already been discussed, so let's leave things as they are.

@++
Julien