Re: Requiring Bourne shell for build

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Requiring Bourne shell for build
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 09:56:16 -0800

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 09:45:41 -0800, Rik wrote:
> 2/17/16
>
> Mike,
>
> I see that you recently added some changesets that add $(SHELL) to the
> invocation of most scripts.  In theory, this seems appropriate because it
> allows the user to override SHELL with their own tool.  In practice,
> however, the build is keyed to using Bourne shell.  I happen to use tcsh so
> SHELL is /bin/tcsh.  This is an exported environment variable so even if I
> drop into sh first before trying to run the build system I get errors.  I
> can get the build to work by doing
>
> sh
> SHELL=/bin/sh
> export SHELL
> bootstrap
> configure
> make
> exit
>
> It seems that instead of making the build platform SHELL agnostic, it is
> now required to use /bin/sh for all operations.

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought there might be a csh
complication somewhere, thanks for being the guinea pig. If only
everyone could use a POSIX shell ;)

Just reading this relevant section of the GNU make manual:

https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Choosing-the-Shell

Most of these might start working for you if you add an "export SHELL"
to build-aux/common.mk alongside the other exports. But that wouldn't
fix the changes to bootstrap.

I'd like to get away with keeping most of the changes, maybe only revert
41e39c9b35d3.

--
mike