Re: C++11 now default?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: C++11 now default?
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 13:34:14 -0800

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 09:55:45 -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:
> It looks like GCC added support for unique_ptr in version 4.4 and that was
> released in April 2009.  Do we really need a configure check, or should we
> just switch to using that instead of auto_ptr?  I hesitate to clutter the
> code with a UNIQUE_PTR macro (or similar) to cope with the possibility of
> not having unique_ptr.  I suppose we can do that if necessary, but maybe we
> should start by just using unique_ptr and seeing if anyone complains.  If
> there are many complaints, then maybe we could add the check?

Sounds good. A simple text replace of s/auto_ptr/unique_ptr/ works
perfectly for me, can someone with gcc 4.4 test this? If no volunteers,
I can use a VM to test.

NB: We currently work with gcc ~>= 4.1, this will effectively bump the
minimum version to 4.4. Not a bad thing, just noting. As you said,
released in 2009, available since Debian 6 (2011), RHEL/CentOS 6 (2011),
and any current Ubuntu (2012 or newer).

> Are there issues other than auto_ptr being deprecated?

That was the only new warning I've seen, and make check passes for me.
I'm using gcc 5.3.1 with -std=gnu++11.

--
mike