Re: symtab.h: why so many function bodies

From: LachlanA
Subject: Re: symtab.h: why so many function bodies
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 15:24:35 -0800 (PST)

Greetings again, all.

Olaf, I take your point about inline functions in different modules.  I'd
heard rumours of the linker being able to do it and had assumed it was
universal now, but I must just have been thinking of g++.

I've found another more egregious example:  read_sparse_matrix is defined in
sparse.h.  It is about 100 lines line, and I/O heavy.  I modified it to fix
bug #38414, and found myself recompiling the GUI, all of
libinterp/operators, most or all of libinterp/corefcn, libinterp/parse-tree
etc.

It seems the problem is more than just too much in headers, but too many
headers being included, possibly indirectly through other headers.

Rik, I agree reducing visibility would be good too, especially if it reduces
executable size as well as just link time.

Cheers,
Lachlan