Re: Can you move the 'database' package to mercurial?

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: Can you move the 'database' package to mercurial?
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 17:50:30 +0100

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 12:12:16AM +0000, Carnë Draug wrote:
> It is done. You should have both database and database-postgresql history
> there, albeit with some caveats (see below).
>
> On 27 February 2016 at 21:23, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > [...]
> > I use `hg convert` instead. I have an svn checkout "OF", which I've
> > converted into an hg repo "OF-hg". I can incrementally do `hg convert
> > OF OF-hg` to turn new svn commits into hg commits. I just did that and
> > pushed it to hg.octave.org
> >

> Is "hg convert" supposed to follow files across file copies?  It seems that
> didn't work.  Example, the current "main/database/INDEX" was a copy of a
> previous "main/database-postgresql/INDEX" file:
>
>     $ svn log -v main/database/INDEX
>     [...]
>     r11580 | i7tiol | 2013-01-16 06:17:06 +0000 (Wed, 16 Jan 2013) | 1 line
>     Changed paths:
>     [...]
>        A /trunk/octave-forge/main/database/INDEX (from
> /trunk/octave-forge/main/database-postgresql/INDEX:11578)
>     [...]
>     Populated new database package with initial postgresql interface.
>     [...]
>
> But when checking the mercurial repository, even with '--follow', it
> does not go in there.  The first changeset from that file is the one
> above.

Thanks, Carnë and Jordi.

But, Carnë, you want a perfect solution by including the history of
'database-postgresql' also. But the latter history essentially only
consists of the initial commit, no file has ever been modified there,
the files were transfered to 'database' as they were.

I'd say, from the view of revision history, we should just forget
'database-postgresql', it's not worth the effort. The move-up of files
at the current end of 'database' history, and the necessity to use
'--follow' due to this move-up, are more awkward than losing the
actually redundant initial commit of 'database-postgresql', IMO.

For the sake of logging the more general 'history', we probably could
do an empty commit at the current end of 'database', in which we state
which information was lost due to conversion to mercurial, mentioning
the one or two commits of 'database-postgresql'?

Olaf