Re: GSOC 16, Improvements to sqrtm,logm and funm

From: Marco Caliari
Subject: Re: GSOC 16, Improvements to sqrtm,logm and funm
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 14:09:50 +0100 (CET)

Dear Karthik and maintainers,

During GSOC 15 (a student started to work on this project, but after about a month he left), Carnë and I discovered that the underlying state-of-the-art algorithms were freely available as MATLAB codes. You can find them starting from here

http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~higham/

Some months ago, Mudit Sharma (who applied last year, too) started to work on them (in order to follow Octave standards and remove handles to nested functions). You can find his emails and software browsing this mailing list. I think Mudit made most of the work, with only some corner cases to be addressed. In my humble opinion what is left is not enough for a GSOC. Jordi, you are indicated a potential mentor, what do you think? Carnë?

Best regards,

Marco