Re: GSoC 2016 project idea - implementation of ode15s

From: Sebastian
Subject: Re: GSoC 2016 project idea - implementation of ode15s
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 16:25:46 +0100

> Am 06.03.2016 um 12:17 schrieb Richard Crozier <address@hidden>:
>
> On 05/03/16 19:38, Sebastian Schöps wrote:
>> Nir Krakauer-2 wrote
>>> Hi Richard,
>>>
>>> I would be willing to be a co-mentor of this if/when we have a suitable
>>> student. Can you please add the project description to ​
>>> http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas ?
>>>
>>> Nir
>>
>> It's already there.
>
> Thanks for offering to mentor Nir, this would be great. I would do my best to
> help with all the 'boring' stuff like mercurial and setting up for octave
> development etc.
>
> Sebastian, there is no specific project to implement ode15s, it's mentioned
> in the Matlab Compatible DAE, but I don't think ode15s is a DAE solver?

from the wiki: "The goal is to implement a Matlab compatible adaptive BDF
solver for Differential Algebraic Equations (DAEs). The interface would need to
be compatible with ode15s while for the backend the SUNDIALS library would be
used, which has both a C and a MEX interface. This function should eventually
be included in Octave core together with the other ODE solvers that will be
released with version 4.2, but could be intially developed as an addition to
the odepkg package."

> Perhaps you are thinking of ode15i? ode15s is a stiff ode solver.

Both ("s" and "i") use the same BDF method and can be used for DAEs and (stiff)
ODEs. However "i" is more tailored for implicit DAEs, i.e., f(x',x,t)=0 instead
of M*x'=f(x,t).

Seb.