Re: GSoC 2016 project idea - implementation of ode15s

From: Richard Crozier
Subject: Re: GSoC 2016 project idea - implementation of ode15s
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 15:44:05 +0000

On 07/03/16 14:25, Carlo De Falco wrote:
Hi,

On 7 Mar 2016, at 09:45, Richard Crozier <address@hidden> wrote:

I do wonder if fully implementing, and thoroughly testing a good, ML compatible
version of ode15s isn't a fairly substantial project on it's own, but you'll
have a much better idea of the work involved in this.

Sorry, I got confused by too many negations ;)

Do you believe the proposed project is too hard or that it is not enough?

c.

Well I was thinking it is quite hard, but that might be more of reflection of myself than the project.

It seems quite hard to do a lot more than get a really good and well tested implementation of ode15s, with all the features such as event detection and documentation. However, maybe a lot of the code exists already, I don't know the detail of the ode solver implementations and how much can be reused.

In the project description it doesn't leap out to me that the main aim is to create a new function ode15s for core.

The existing solvers are m-file based and self contained (I think), would jwe be ok with adding a dependency like SUNDIALS to core?

Obviously I'd rather have one in odepkg than not at all.

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.