Re: GSOC16 - Improve iterative methods for sparse linear systems

From: Marco Caliari
Subject: Re: GSOC16 - Improve iterative methods for sparse linear systems
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 14:34:52 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 8 Mar 2016, Cris wrote:

Dear all,
I'm Cristiano Dorigo, a 2-nd year student of the Master Degree in Mathematics of the University of Verona, Italy. I'm interested in partecipating at the GSOC 2016 to work at the project "Improve iterative methods for sparse linear systems".

I have a good knowledge of Octave and Matlab built during the Bachelor in Applied Mathematics through some exams (Numerical Analysis, Numerical Methods for Differential Equations, Fluid Dynamics) and also during the Master Degree. In particular I followed a course on Spline theory and another on the Finite Elements Method with a part fully reserved to iterative methods for sparse linear systems. I also know the Java code language from the Computer Programming course at the Bachelor.

I'm interested in this project because during my Bachelor Thesis I studied the Krylov subspaces, the Arnoldi Method and the GMRES algorithm. In particular I implemented (using Octave) the GMRES algorithm using the Householder orthogonalization instead of the Gram-Schmidt one and studied the quality of the solutions with the GMRES with these different orthogonalizations. I think that with this project I can study in deep the topics that I already faced in the Thesis and I can study other algorithms close to the GMRES, in such a way to improve my general knowlegde about sparse linear systems algorithms.

Don't hesitate to ask anything if there are questions about my student career or about my thesis.

Dear Cristiano,

so you already implemented from scratch a function like gmres. Therefore, you may have a rough idea of the required effort for the project. Can you make a more detailed scheduling of the work, in case the project is accepted? Please take honestly into account also your examination session, if any.

Cheers,

Marco