Re: application for GSoC 2016: Image Analysis

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: application for GSoC 2016: Image Analysis
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 17:33:46 +0000

On 15 March 2016 at 17:21, Anh Tran <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello Carne,
>
> I don't know if I should call you Dr. or Mr. because there is no clear
> intuition. Please excuse my greetings. I'm interested in the GNU Octave
> project Image Analysis, and I'm personally a octave user as well. I've sent
> an email to the mailing list but I guess it may be more straightforward to
> contact you directly. My apology if it doesn't find you well.
>
> Please allow me to introduce. I'm Anh Tran, a 2nd year PhD student in
> Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, USA. I'm a mechanical
> engineering major, with a bachelor in mechanical engineering as well, but a
> master in applied mathematics. I code on MATLAB, C++ frequently, and I code
> on Ubuntu platform. I have experience in Image Analysis, but not at an
> expert level, perhaps more than beginner a little bit. But I'm willing to
> learn and I can learn pretty fast. I'm familiar with algorithm, OOP
> languages. I'm also familiar with MPI/OpenMP format.
>
> Attached is my resume. Please let me know if you have any question.
> Sincerely,
> Anh Tran

I read the mailing lists.  There was no question on your email, and
therefore there is nothing to answer.  You might be interested on the
"Steps Toward a Successful Application" of the wiki page [1].

Maybe you will be interested in parallelizing some of the Octave code.  But
just saying that you know how to do it is of little value.  You will need to be
already be involved in development to be accepted, even if it's not directly
related to your project.

Carnë

[1]
http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Steps_Toward_a_Successful_Application