Re: ode15s project for GSOC 2016

From: Carlo de Falco
Subject: Re: ode15s project for GSOC 2016
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 08:58:17 +0100

Francesco,
Please submit to the gsoc website we can discuss there.
c.

Il 23 mar 2016 4:36 PM, "Francesco Faccio" <address@hidden> ha scritto:
Dear Carlo and dear all,

I would like to make a detailed scheduling of the work on project ode15s:

Before 22nd April:
-familiarize with the community (using mailing list, IRC Channel, giving my contribution to short projects)
-familiarize with Mercurial and autotools
-study of SUNDIALS library and Oct-files

22nd April - 22nd May:
-study of the existing documentation of ode15s
-comparison between ode15s and the other ODE solvers (in order to choose which part of the algorithm we can improve using numerical techniques)
-study of numerical methods for DAEs
-Keep in touch with the community and the mentor better defining all the steps we need to reach our goals

Work period

23rd May-20th June
-Start coding. Improve the algorithm.
The approach I would like to choose is the following: write unit tests, then write the code and follow the Test-Driven Development method. When a few lines of code will be written, I will write integration tests. Finally I will test manually the code. Runtime error detection methods will be applied.
If it will be possible, I will use also the tests already implemented in the Octave source.

-Set up the configuration system
-Profiling in order to optimize slower parts of the code

-Validation tests: at the end of the development I will test the order of convergence of the algorithm. I will also test the behaviour of the code with respect to some differential equations (ex. from the most regular to Van der Pol).

Mid-term evaluation

21st June - 7th August
-implement Octave interface of ode15s starting from ODE options
-Make tests to ensure the compatibility between Matlab and Octave
8th August - 23rd August
-Write the documentation and more tests

I plan to work about 40 hours a week.
In addition to this I will attend a course on Advanced Programming for Scientific Computing till the end of June.

I would really appreciate to receive some suggestions. In particular I would like to split the second part of the project in a lot of small steps (I will be able to do this once I will have a deeper knowledge of the structure of ode15s). Please tell me how to improve the scheduling for this work.
I will upload the rest of the proposal ASAP.

Thank you for your consideration. Sorry for top-posting.

Best regards,

Francesco Faccio